A damp and dingy basement is perhaps one of the last things you will want as the owner of a shimmery yellow-painted house that otherwise speaks of liveliness and vibrancy! The basement of your house, which could have been one of the favourite play spots for your kids is left abandoned because of the wet floor and dampened walls that have a fusty and stale smell.
Apart from the stuffy environment, you may often notice molds and mosses springing up here and there, making it ideal for germ infestation. It does sound like a scene from a horror movie, right? But this is a common scenario in places like Bronx, Queens, Manhattan, and Westchester. These cities in New York receive maximum rainfall and snowfall and often compromise basement waterproofing. The basement is an integral part of your building’s foundation. Poor or insufficient waterproofing can lead to substantial damages affecting the chassis responsible for support and integrity. Several factors are accountable for a damp basement- improper drainage, leaks and cracks, groundwater pressure, erosion of waterproof membrane, and so on. Whatever the cause, it calls for an urgency to waterproof your basement at once!
Basement Waterproofing- A Fundamental Guide
The basement waterproofing companies Bronx analyses the cause of water penetration in your basement before proceeding with the relative technique. It is necessary to comprehend the underlying factor for an explicit solution.
Read More:- How to Estimate the Cost of Basement Waterproofing Service
However, the basic procedure is the same in all forms. Here is a step-by-step guide:
- The process begins with excavating the outer perimeter of your basement to the foundation depth. The underground drainage pipes and tiles are checked thoroughly for cracks and leaks and are repaired or replaced if required.
- When the drainage system approves of its functionality, cleaning the walls thoroughly and inspecting them meticulously follows the next step. Cracks or weak spots on the walls are one of the overriding causes of water infiltration. Applying a layer of hydraulic cement aids in foundation waterproofing Queens. It fills up the cracks and crevices, diminishing the probability of seepage.
- A coat of sealant is applied on all the exterior walls for closing the surface pores and hairline cracks. Being cement based, it easily spreads over masonry and concrete surfaces.
- Installation of a waterproof membrane made up of polyurethane material is important as it protects the foundation wall from exterior water damage. This membrane is elastomeric- it can twist and stretch covering new cracks or pores.
- To avail of the best basement waterproofing service, always install a superior quality drainage mat, allowing water to drain through the channels formed by the molded dimple core. The drainage mat must be placed creating gaps between the walls for moisture passage.
- Lastly, the installation of the French drain is executed that helps to keep the water level lower than the basement floor. After completion, gravel is used for refilling. Gravel enables easy water flow and also does not permit absorption.
So, basement waterproofing performed by an expert can save your house from severe structural damage and preserve the glimmer of the bright yellow paint!