Though you can enjoy monsoon sipping a cup of hot coffee while staying indoors, damp walls and the stuffy ambience are major hindrances! Soggy walls and floors and leaking windows are some of the most prevalent problems property owners face during the wet seasons. Even the winters in Bronx, Queens, Manhattan, and Westchester accompany such issues as the snow melting in the heat.
You may witness the peeling of yellow paint and the growth of molds on the walls caused due prolonged moisture exposure. You should call the waterproofing contractors Westchester to fix the issue immediately and save your building from devastating structural damage.
Common Causes of Damp Walls
Water seepage into the walls or excessive moisture retention is the primary cause of dampness. Nonetheless, it can happen in three different ways:
- Water ingression through the external surface is a very common factor. Improper waterproofing, porous brickwork, cracks and holes and crumbling plaster are highly prone to absorb water and pass it into the deeper layers.
- According to commercial waterproofing contractors, rising dampness caused due to moisture absorption from the ground is prevalent in high-rise buildings. Excessive load increases hydraulic pressure underneath the soil. Thus, the water rises and gets absorbed through the floor.
- In winter, when you turn on your room heater, excess moisture cannot escape through the windows. It leads to condensation when you experience dampness in the interiors without any sign of water seepage from external sources.
Getting Rid of Dampness
While many tricks can help you get rid of damp walls immediately, they cannot be a permanent solution. You can use a dehumidifier, exhaust fans, or desiccants to reduce the dampness instantly but for a sustainable solution, seek the assistance of the best waterproofing contractors.
Here are some long-term fixes to prevent dampness:
- Repairing and sealing cracks on external surfaces like the walls and the roof through caulking and applying superior-grade waterproofing coats and paints. These products induce water-repellent qualities to the surfaces and are breathable to ensure there is zero moisture buildup in the interiors.
- To prevent rising dampness, building waterproofing contractors implement a damp proof course (DPC). It is one of the easiest and most affordable ways to treat dampness from the ground. In this process, damp proofing cream is injected into the mortar about 150mm above the ground wall. It acts as a barrier to the water rising through the ground.
- Check for clogged gutters and downspouts as they can cause water to pool around the property and on the roof. Also, if you have crumbling bricks or missing shingles, replace them promptly with waterproofing contractors Brooklyn.
- Improving ventilation in a room can help you get rid of condensation problems. Open the windows more frequently and don’t let furniture block their way. You can also use anti-damp and thermal insulating paints in numerous shades like yellow, blue, white, etc. to keep away dampness and molds.
Keeping away dampness in the present day is much easier with the innovation of the latest technologies. You require only determining the cause, the fix is readily available!