Stonemasonry is the earliest facade of construction mode that is put through since ancient times. The easy availability of stone and the ability to withstand weather damage and corrosion has emanated into its immense popularity and substantial manoeuvre.
New York is a city that is garnered by some of the most diverse assemblies of skyscrapers and low-rise buildings comprehending both for residential and commercial purposes. The city even displays some of the most architecturally symbolic constructions in the world that exhibit cultural and historical significance. The stone contractors queens specialize in delivering exquisite stonework services involving installation, repair and restoration.
Why is it Important to Repair and Restore Stone Constructions
Stonemasonry comprises of divergent categories, from the rubble to ashlar. Also, there are various types of stones used- sedimentary, igneous, and metamorphic. The techniques of constructing stone edifices depend largely on the stone type and climate factors. The stone contractors possess dexterous apprehension about the best variety of stone and its installation technique required for the assigned construction.
However, with time, stones decay due to some presiding factors. These are accounted as follows:
- The moisture that builds within the stone cracks and joints from rotting window sills and panes, flashings, gutter, and downpipes.
- The use of non-breathable stone and paint often do not allow the moisture to escape.
- The ingenious process of ageing, corrosion, and weathering.
- Improper or faulty stone bedding.
- Exposure to chemicals, dust, and gas especially in structures like chimneys.
- Growth of moss, molds and ferns when exposed to excessive rain or snowfall.
The serious damage to the stone wall weakens the foundation of a structure that can lead to major accidents including the nemesis of the building. It creates an unsafe environment for the occupants and the nearby properties. Moreover, the visual appeal of the architecture gets compromised too. So, the repair and restoration of stone structures are notably significant to preserve their integrity.
The Prevalent Stone Repair Practices
A professional stone contractor is the most reliable man to execute an equitable solution for the type and extent of the damage. A stone flooring contractor surveys the damage critically and determines its cause. The best suitable explication is operated only after proper cleaning of the stone surface.
The prevailing stone repair proceedings are:
- Repointing stones with lime mortar for a stronger and durable finish.
- Removal and replacement of old stones with the nearest matching stone.
- Indent repair that requires the cutting out of faulty stone and insertion of new stone with stainless steel dowels.
- The repair of cracked window lintels.
- The use of hydraulic lime mortar ensures enhanced breathability.
- The implementation of stone brushing when there is less damage.
- Small hairline cracks can be repaired by stainless steel staples.
- Lead flashing is installed where the defilement is caused primarily due to rainwater.
To prevent advanced defacement, licensed stone restoration contractors must be hired for premier quality cost-effective repair services.