What comes to your mind when you think about masonry? The classic red brick buildings or the elaborate yellow-colored stone structures dominate cities like Bronx, Queens, Manhattan, and Westchester. Maybe you are a proud owner of an exquisite property with a beautiful landscape! But what do you do to maintain your building?
Though masonry is the most durable construction material, it has a limited lifespan. Masonry contractors NYC can help you preserve the functionality and curb appeal of your building through repair and restoration, but for regular maintenance, you require to help yourself! Natural elements like heat, light, moisture, mold, and mildew impact the practical and aesthetic attributes of masonry. You will notice discoloration of bricks and uneven stone surfaces over time. However, with a proper maintenance strategy, you can beat the damaging effects to a considerable extent.
Maintenance Tips by Professionals
Gladly, the masonry contractors in New York City share some helpful steps to preserve your building’s durability and aesthetics.
Read More:- What is the Significance of Masonry Services?
- Annual Inspection- It is of foremost importance to check your brick or stone structure for signs of any damage. You can do this by hiring a professional masonry contractor or yourself. Examine the structure meticulously and look for cracks, holes, uneven surfaces, weak spots, loose mortar, mold, mildew, discoloration, and other significant damage concerns. Do not hesitate to call NYC masonry contractors if things are out of your league.
- Cleaning and Scrubbing- Masonry is persistently exposed to dirt, dust, pollution, and moisture leading to unsightly spots, efflorescence (salt accumulation), and the growth of molds and mildew. So brick and stone lose their color and texture over a period. The best way to deal with it is by scrubbing the surface with a hard-bristled brush and cleaning with water and mild detergent. If you do it periodically, you can combat such concerns easily.
- Eliminate Plant Growth- According to the masonry contractors in Brooklyn NY, the growth of wild ivy or creepers along the brick walls may look picturesque but causes significant damage to the structure. The roots of these plants get into deeper layers through holes and cracks and aggravate the damage extent. So it is wiser to keep your property clear of these greens.
- Moisture Protection- Moisture is the most evident cause of damage in any masonry construction. It can penetrate the interiors, causing dampened yellow walls, leakage, weakening of the foundation, and corrosion of reinforced steel structures. Thus, the severity of the damage is massive. Hiring a masonry contractor in NYC, you can seal cracks and holes, fix missing caulking and loosened mortar, and apply a waterproof coat to create an impermeable barrier. It will save you from structural instability and an inhabitable environment.
- Call Professionals- You can always give your best to maintain your masonry structure, but always seek professional help when your building requires repair and restoration. Replacing damaged bricks or stones, caulking, waterproofing, pressure washing, and other complex jobs demand expert assistance. Never think of DIY in such cases!
To conclude, masonry maintenance can aid you in a safer and healthier life. So never ignore its significance!