Did you ever wonder why building waterproofing Bronx is so important? We mean, we always say that waterproofing is a cardinal part of any construction, but we are most often not aware of the reasons. Even if we know the reasons, we don’t comprehend its significance.
Staying in cities like the Bronx, Queens, Manhattan, and Westchester, consulting building waterproofing contractors becomes a necessity during the monsoon and winter. Most property owners face issues like a damp basement, leakage from the roof, or even a musty odor. We call it waterproofing failure or improper waterproofing.
Today, in this blog, we will discuss the necessity of waterproofing. You will learn most of the building structural problems you encounter are due to water damage. Before that, let’s understand what waterproofing is all about.
What is Building Waterproofing?
Waterproofing involves the techniques used to prevent water from entering a building. In other words, it is the process of keeping water out of the masonry structures. Building waterproofing Bronx helps to protect reinforcement while ensuring there is no significant damage due to water infiltration.
Masonry structures are porous, whether made of brick, stone, or concrete. So, water seepage through the pores and cracks in walls, ceilings, and floors is prevalent. When this water reaches the inner layers, it affects the building’s structural integrity due to corrosion.
Therefore, apart from building foundation waterproofing, you must waterproof other elements too. Doors, windows, walls, floors, and the roof- each section must be adequately waterproofed.
Now, building waterproofing Bronx comprises external and internal waterproofing. Exterior waterproofing is more invasive and proposes comprehensive solutions. On the other hand, interior waterproofing is essential to ensure the absolute efficiency of external waterproofing. Waterproofing membranes, coats, sealants, and paints are the various methods of waterproofing.
So, what are the various aspects of building waterproofing? Or why is it necessary? Let’s come to that.
Reasons to Waterproof Your Building
What are the benefits of building waterproofing? Here it goes.
- Promotes Structural Integrity- The primary objective of building waterproofing is to safeguard its structural integrity. When you waterproof the foundation and the basement of your building, you are creating a barrier against groundwater and rainwater seepage. As you know, the foundation is responsible for imparting strength and stability to your building. Also, waterproofing the walls and roof is necessary since they contribute to your building’s overall infrastructure.
- Enhances Longevity- When you have a strong foundation, undoubtedly, your building will have a longer life. The reinforced steel is well-protected against water damage like corrosion and disintegration. So, you have a more durable construction that is safeguarded against moisture damage.
- Increases Energy Efficiency- Do you know building waterproofing Bronx is responsible for reducing energy costs? Yes, with waterproofing, you have better insulation that lowers energy consumption. Your HVAC system functions better since you do not have dampened walls or leaks. In other words, you pay less for electricity bills!
- Better Air Quality- A damp place means a humid and stifling environment. The growth of molds and algae on moist surfaces pollutes the air. Apart from the musty odor, you breathe poor-quality air.
- Healthier Living Environment- As mentioned earlier, a damp space is a breeding ground for germs and molds. It results in various health hazards like breathing problems, allergies, etc.
- Higher Property Resale Value- Building waterproofing companies can help increase your property resale value. A waterproofed building is considered sustainable. It means a safe investment that anybody would like to consider!
Therefore, for potential protection against water damage, waterproofing is a prerequisite you cannot ignore!